The Benefits of Unrefined Sugar
Sugar has been demonized by many experts as the main cause of many health problems like obesity, stroke and cardiovascular diseases. However, not all sugars are devil enough to trigger health issues and undermine human’s body. In fact, there are so many kinds of sugar products in the market, and some of them are notorious with labels of “organic sugar cane”, while some without fancy packages are truly wholesome to human body. As the awareness of being healthy and pursuing a less-sugar lifestyle spreads widely, people desire for some healthy alternatives to the artificial sweeteners. What is highly recommended by scientists and doctors is the unrefined sugar.
What is unrefined sugar?
Is unrefined sugar the same as raw sugar? Does unrefined sugar not go through any refining procedure? What kind of sugar can be characterized as unrefined sugar?
Naturally, it is common to have problems with unrefined sugar and by reading the following pages, I believe you can find the correct answers to these questions.
It must be pointed out that all sugars from sugarcane go through a series of production processes, but some are more than others. The production of unrefined sugar starts from the collection of fresh sugarcane for clarifying the cane juice, which is going to be boiled for concentration. This procedure generates a sticky dark syrup, called molasses, which surrounds the pure sugar crystals. Afterwards, there is no centrifugation ( during this step, a spinner will be used to separate sugar crystals from molasses) with a result that the molasses around the crystals are retained and, typically, are not centrifuged. So the unrefined sugar is also called uncentrifuged sugar. However, through heating, clarifying, and dehydrating cane juice, the refined sugars have all of the original cane molasses left off by centrifuging. Likewise, the raw sugar has most of its molasses removed .
With 8 – 14% molasses, unrefined sugars’ crystals are capable of holding a strong flavor and dark brown color. The sugar content is composed of around 90% sucrose and 5% glucose and fructose . It is the molasses that makes the unrefined sugar highly accepted by the mass public.
The influential benefits of unrefined sugar
- Unrefined sugars contain natural ingredients such as calcium, magnesium and iron. At the same time they hold more minerals, antioxidants as well as other nutrients that are wholesome for your body.
- First and foremost, sugar plays the dominant role in supporting our body by providing energy. By digestion, the sugar we consume will turn into glucose, which can be used by our cells to sustain the basic human life activity.
- The unrefined sugar can provide no less energy compared with other types of sugar, while at the same time, it is more tasty. The aroma of unrefined sugar is fairly better than the other and just because of this merit, it is always blended with other materials in the making of cookies and desserts.
- In addition to the basic energy unrefined energy provided to our human body, the nutrients it carries make it the perfect alternative to artificial enhancers.
- Molasses, contained in unrefined sugar, is rich in iron, and it also encompasses natural absorption enhancers such as sulfur, fructose, and copper. As a consequence, the unrefined can be used to cure iron deficiency anemia.
- What’s more, due to the minerals and vitamins contained in the unrefined sugar, people can have a more strong immune system to protect the body. Stronger immunity means higher cleaning power of viruses and safeguarding inner organs.
- However, the artificial sweetener is nothing but sugar cane plus many processed chemical ingredients. It has a high potential to cause many health problems like tooth decay, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, kidney problems, and cancer.
- In light of the least production procedure required, unrefined sugar has an edge in saving energy and protecting the environment. The production of unrefined sugar is as environmentally friendly as possible without any emission of green gas and waste of energy.
KHAND is a bestseller from Holy Cow Lakshyam with relatively reasonable price, eco-friendliness and nutrition.
Desi Khand is the raw form of sugar and it is less processed with powder-like tiny brown crystals obtained from sugarcane processing loaded with vitamins and minerals. It aims to help burn fat, enhance digestion and build immunity.
The production of KHAND is wholly organic. The sugarcane and sugar beet is grown on the farm. The natural cow dung can be used as manure to add nutrients to the land. When the sugarcane is harvested, women will be employed to manufacture and craft the raw material to convert it into the final product. It can be easily noticed that the production of KHAND could not only avoid the usage of fertilizer but also generate more job opportunities for women.
Nowadays, more and more health threats have resulted from the consumption of sugar. Nevertheless, it is important to know that not all sugars are produced and processed equally. If we want to reap from the healthy benefits of sugar, it must be unrefined sugar!